Thursday, June 20, 2013

Weird How Thinking About Dying Can Give Direction for Life



Woke up this morning and just started writing after reading this quote.  Two cups of coffee later it ended in this...


“Remembering you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.” ― Steve Jobs

True confession: As a young person, I was totally freaked out by anything related to death or dying. It just wasn't something that was discussed in my family.

It wasn’t until I was older that I realized nobody talked about it!  In our modern Western society we are so obsessed with youth and beauty and spending and ambition that we ignore our inevitable demise as much as humanly possible. All the avoidance around the topic of death and dying reflects our denial of it.

Then people I loved started to die. And my perspective on life changed dramatically. Steve Jobs said this while he was trying to understand death during his own prolonged illness.  He also said, “What difference does it make if you are the richest person in the cemetery?”  It reminded of me of what I am learning from others who talked about their regrets in life while they were dying.

They said:
    I wish I hadn’t worked so hard;
    I wish I'd loved and expressed my feelings more;
    I wish I'd stayed in touch with my family and friends;
    I wish that I had let myself be happier;
    I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

To this, I add;
    I wish I had the wisdom and understanding to have learned all this 45 years ago.

Sent with love and thoughts of you before I am dying…
Charles

P.S. Someone read this and added: When you let the wrong people in your house, stuff comes up missing like Joy, Peace, Love, Hope and Faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment